Dry eyes disease is a widespread disease affecting a large segment of people of all ages. Dry eyes disease is a condition caused by palpitations or eye tears or increased evaporation tears of the eye, which leads to a defect in the function of tear film, where dry eye is accompanied by many signs and symptoms, including:
- Redness of the eye and burning sensation.
- The fluctuation of the level of view.
- Dry eye feeling.
- Causes of dry eye disease
There are many causes of dry eyes including:
- Lack of secretion of lacrimal glands that may be associated with some systemic diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus erythematosus, Jugren syndrome, or may be due to lack of sebaceous glands (Mibomian) eyelid, which causes the evaporation of eye tears, which is the most common cause.
- Current lifestyle and intensive use of electronic devices such as computers, tablets and smart phones increases eye dryness in young people.
- Adaptation and exposure to cold air currents.
- Reading continuously and in poor lighting.
- Alternative hormone therapy.
- Smoking and exposure to secondhand smoke.
- Going out in the sun and in the constantly polluted air.
- Do not wear sunglasses.
- Diseases that cause eye dryness such as high blood pressure.
- Excessive sensitivity to certain foods.
- Depression and feeling sad and frequent crying.
- Taking antidepressants.
- Use pills.
Diagnosis of dry eyes
Diagnosis by asking the doctor concerned some questions to the patient and through the answers can evaluate the possibility of a dry eye, in addition to the clinical examination of the amount of tears and tears of the eye and the function of oil layer, which encapsulates the tears of the eye and some inflammatory factors within the film tear.
Treatment of dry eyes
After careful diagnosis, the doctor moves to treat the causes, by treating the accompanying systemic disease if any.
The topical treatment is to describe the drop of activation of the secretion of eye tears and the treatment of inflammation such as: (cyclosporine – levitigras – corticosteroids) or treatment of deficiency of secretion of the glands in the eyelid, ILP – Lipiflow.
Eye moisturizing drops are used as needed, and systemic treatment is done by multiple omega-3 sources.