How to Fix Copy Paste Not Working Issue in Windows 10
This article brings multiple possible situations weakening the copy and pastes function and the helpful ways to fix them.
Given that the copy and paste function in Windows 10 is one of the most useful and basic features, it is nearly impossible to get past not required to use it at all. It is something that has been easing the weight off shoulders since the beginning but some users report it to be dysfunctional. This article brings multiple possible situations weakening the copy and pastes function and the helpful ways to fix them.
Read more: How to Change Your Windows 10 Password?
Best Ways to Fix Copy Paste Not Working Issue in Windows 10
Copy and paste functions in your Windows can fluctuate due to several reasons. It may be due to an antivirus tool or the outdated Windows. Well, we have listed down the most effective ways for you to try when you come across this situation.
1. Update Your Drivers
Whenever you end up struggling with unexpected issues in your Windows, it is best to head into making sure your system is up to date. An outdated system pushes functionality to slow down and thus, tons of features cease to help you out.
Read more: How to Stop Windows 10 From Spying on You?
If you are annoyed with the copy and paste issue in your Windows, you must check the updates and get your device driver updated. To do that you can simply seek the device manager where you will be able to find the pending update and quick start it. Using Windows driver updater to fix this issue can be worth it.
2. Clean Your Clipboard
The copy and paste function in your Windows PC may not be able to work properly due to the clipboard. If the clipboard has got full, it may lead the copy and paste feature to become unable to work. To resolve this case, you can use the command and clear the clipboard.
Here are the steps to clean the clipboard:
- Hit the Windows search bar and type cmd in it. Then, you have to right-click the Command prompt and choose the Run as administrator option.
- In the next step, you have to select Yes when it prompts for administrator permission.
- Then type cmd/c “echo off | clip” and hit Enter.
You can now check if the copy and paste function is working properly.
3. Check and Remove Malware
Maybe it is another malware that has snuck into your system and now is attempting to cause clipboard malfunction. Even if that’s not the case, you should always make sure about that by running a scan on your system in order to detect viruses.
Follow these steps to scan for the virus in your Windows PC:
- First, go to the Start button and then, click on the Settings icon.
- Now, find and pick the Update & Security section from Settings and then go to the Windows Security option.
- Once you are there, click on the Virus & threat protection option.
- In the next step, check the Threat history section and then select the Run a new advanced scan option.
- Now, click on Full Scan and then click the Scan now button.
- Before you hit the Scan finally, save all your open files and close all the programs running on your system. Once you ensure that, click Scan.
Now that you have hit the scan on your system, your PC will restart once the scanning is complete. To check the detections, you can head to Windows Defender and see the results.
Sometimes, the copy and paste issue stops working due to the usage of antimalware tools in the background. These tools cause this kind of issue for security purposes. You can try disabling them and see if that has solved your problem.
Has your PC recently gone through any change? Well, it is possible that the copy and paste not working issue in your Windows may have occurred due to some recent changes in the system. To make sure if that’s the case, you can undo the changes.
Doing a system reset will return your system back to the state it was in before. Here are the steps for you to follow in order to perform a reset for your system:
- Firstly, you have to head to the Windows search bar and type recovery. Then, hit Enter.
- Once it opens, click the Open System Restore section from there.
- Now, pick the Choose a different restore point option and hit the Next button.
- You have to check the box given with the Show more restore points option. After checking that, you will now be able to view more restore points.
- Select a restore point from the date or time when the copy-paste issue was not there.
- Click the Next button.
Once you finish following these steps, you can return to the system and check if the issue has been resolved.
Copy and paste functions are extremely useful functions of Windows 10 and not being able to make their use throw a lot of obstacles in your way. However, the reasons behind this error can be as petit as an impending update or clipboard issue. Was this article helpful to you? Share your views and suggestions in the comment section.